- 1. Definition of Discussion
Discussion is a text which present a problematic discourse. This problem will be discussed from different viewpoints. Discussion is commonly found in philosophical, historic, and social text.
- 2. Generic Structure of Discussion
- Statement of issue; stating the issue which is to discussed
- List of supporting points; presenting the point in in supporting the presented issue
- List of contrastive point; presenting other points which disagree to the supporting point
- Recommendation; stating the writer’ recommendation of the discourse
- 3. Language Feature of Discussion
- Introducing category or generic participant
- Using thinking verb; feel, hope, believe, etc
- Using additive, contrastive, and causal connection; similarly, on the hand, however, etc
- Using modalities; must, should, could, may, etc
- Using adverbial of manner; deliberately, hopefully, etc
- 4. Examples and structures of the text
|Issue||I have been wondering if homework is necessary.|
|Statement of issue and Preview||I think we should have homework because it helps us to learn and revise our work.
Homework helps people who aren’t very smart to remember what they have learned. Homework is really good because it helps with our education.
|Statement of various viewpoints||But, many times, doing homework is not a great idea. I think we shouldn’t have homework because I like to go out after school to a restaurant or the movies. Sometimes homework is boring and not important.
I think homework is bad because I like to play and discuss things with my family.
Example of Discussion Text
The Advantage and Disadvantage of Nuclear Power
Nuclear power is generated by using uranium which is a metal mined in various part of the world. The first large scale of nuclear power station was opened at Calder Hall in Cumbria, England in 1956.
Some military ships and submarines have nuclear power plant for engine. Nuclear power produces around 11% of the world’s energy needed, and produces huge amounts of energy. It cause no pollution as we would get when burning fossil fuels. The advantages of nuclear plant are as follow:
- It costs about the same coal, so it is not expansive to make.
- It does not produce smoke or carbon dioxide, so it does not contribute to the greenhouse effect.
- It produces huge amounts of energy from small amount of uranium.
- It produces small amount of waste.
- It is reliable.
On the other hand, nuclear power is very, very dangerous. It must be sealed up and buried for many years to allow the radioactivity to die away. Furthermore, although it is reliable, a lot of money has to be spent on safety because if it does go wrong, a nuclear accident ca be a major accident.
People are increasingly concerned about this matter. In the 1990′s nuclear power was the fastest growing source of power in many parts of the world.
Note on the Generic Structure of Discussion Text
Discussion is a process to find the meet point between two different ideas. It is important to to get the understanding between the two differences. In many social activities, discussion is the effective way to calm down any friction and difference in thought, perception and recommendation.
This example of discussion text present the two poles, between the advantage and disadvantage of using nuclear plant to fulfill the energy needed. It is a case which need to be talked and discussed from two points. They are represented in the generic structure which is used:
Stating the Issue: In the first paragraph, it is stated that using nuclear power can be the choice in fulfilling the needed energy.
Supporting Point: In the second paragraph, it is presented the advantages of nuclear power plant to be used as the source of the world’s energy needed
Contrastive Point: The third paragraph shows the balance. It gives the contradictory idea in using nuclear power plant as the resource of energy.
Recommendation: This text is ended with a similar recommendation on how people should concern in the matter of nuclear energy.
- B. Hunting Fox
Foxhunting is a subject that provokes very strong feelings. Many people believe that it is cruel to hunt a fox with dogs and totally agree with its ban.
Many farmer and even conservationists, however, have always argue that the fox is a pest which attacks livestock and must be controlled.
(Taken from: www.bbc.co.uk)
Generic Structure Analysis
Stating the issue; hunting fox.
Supporting point; farmers and conservationists agree to hunt fox because they attack livestok.
Contrastive point; many people disagree hunting fox with dog because it is cruel.
Recommendation; Do not be cruel in hunting fox just control it in safe way.
Language Feature Analysis
Introducing category participant; farmer, conservationists.
Using thinking verb; believe.
Using modalities; must, always